Saturday, July 23, 2011

Wisconsin Fly that Looks Like a Bee

For the life of me, I can't find a match for this bug. There were several of these on the wood pile behind The Beacons. One of the groundsmen ("Big" or "Little" Dave?) saw me taking pictures and said, without looking closely, that they're Deer Flies, which deliver a powerfully painful sting.  However. . .


. . . this guy is hairier than a Deer Fly, has a way more projectile blond mustache, lacks the Deer Fly's prominent orange antennae, and sports eyeballs that look like welding goggles. By the way, the picture isn't good for judging scale. I guesstimate that this fly is about eight times as big as a Common House Fly.

I'm going to have to make this post without an identification, sorry. The bug is awesome, though, right?

1 comment:

  1. Hello - It's a Bumble Bee Robber Fly. We had these in California. Google image that and I think you'll agree. Flies don't actually sting, but some bite - there’s no venom. Wasps, ants and bees have stingers with venom.

    ReplyDelete