Thursday, July 7, 2011

Froglet Debut!


A couple of days ago, Bradley went out early in the morning and saw our froglet for the first time without a tail. It was so cute, he said, sitting on a lily pad. When it saw Bradley coming, it took a big frogger leap back into the pond.


I went out that night and saw it sitting on a lily pad again, but I had forgotten to put the battery back into my camera, so the photo op was lost. Last night, though, I heard some little ker-plunks near the spitter and spotted the wee tot. The upper picture I shot by flashlight sans-tripod. The lower picture, I feel guilty, is the result of flash. It automatically came on, so I accidentally blasted the poor froglet in the face. I hope the two-inch long cutie-pie is okay. He/she didn't seem fazed. But then again, how would I know?

Having the tadpoles/froglet is supremely neat, but the guy at the pond place was obviously way off when he said it would take two years before my tadpoles made the transformation. I had been hoping to enjoy the tadpole stage longer, and I worry about raccoons getting the froggers if they leave the immediate pond vicinity, which is moderately well protected by the scarecrow.

Previous tadpole/frog posts: Big & Little Legs: A Bullfrog Tadpole Update and Tadpoles (the March day I brought them home).

No comments:

Post a Comment