Monday, July 11, 2011

Three Baby Birds (Maybe Finches) in Nest in Sycamore Tree in Deukmejian Wilderness Park


When I was wandering around the park taking pictures, I noticed a very poopy leaf (below right) about six feet up the trunk of a young Sycamore. Otherwise, I would have missed the sweetest little nest about the size of a baseball about nine feet up the tree. And I would have missed three super-tough baby birds who were mad dogging me like crazy. (They were silent, totally silent.)

Well, okay, they weren't exactly mad dogging me. And I didn't test how tough they were. But there were, in fact, three pairs of eyes on me (above).  I'll have to do some research to identify the nest and type of birds, since I didn't see an adult, but my best guess is that they're Lesser Goldfinches because there are a lot of them in that part of the park. Look at the little guy peeping out (below left).

No comments:

Post a Comment