Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Greater Sandhill Cranes near Phelps, Wisconsin

Grus canadensis tabida (J. L. Peters, 1925).

When we were on our way to Uncle Jack's house, I spotted a kind of bird I knew I'd never seen before, not even on Sanibel Island, where we've seen all kinds of unusual birds. On the way back, we had to stop at the field to get a picture. The birds had moved farther away from the road, but I still got these shots between the Birch trees and "Trembling" or "Quaking" Aspen (a type of Poplar that some people, including my uncle, call "Popple" trees).


Sandhill Cranes were long identified as endangered, but they've rebounded in response to various protections. They're beautiful birds, and big ones, too. It was a real treat to watch them.


My pictures don't show it well, but they have gorgeous red coloring on their faces/heads. Check out these two pictures from the Free Photo Gallery at The International Crane Foundation. I couldn't resist including a picture of Sandhill Crane chicks. Sickeningly cute, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment