Saturday, July 2, 2011

Roses are Pink


I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Roses are not my forte. Neighbors have told me that after being in Southern California a while, I'd be a fan of Roses and Geraniums because they perform so well here. Geraniums, yes, all I have are flourishing. Roses, well, the number of bushes the house came with continues to dwindle. I can't seem to take care of diseases like powdery mildew, though I try.

Nevertheless, this particular plant hangs in there. A Dog Rose, Rosa canina, it has nice, big, dark-colored leaves. It probably gets more shade than it likes, so it sends up stalks about seven feet tall and then flowers way up at the top. I like this picture, which I took on my tip-toes and with my arms extended as high above my head as I could reach. The best things often happen when I can't see through the view finder. (That should probably become my mantra!)

No comments:

Post a Comment