Sunday, June 5, 2011

Strawberry-berry Bo-berry, Banana-fanna...


Breakfast score! Bradley went out for our usual Sunday almond croissants from the French dude at the Montrose Harvest Market and picked up the most spectacular berry trio: yellow raspberries, the awesomest juicy strawberries, and plump blueberries.


As you know, sometimes strawberries look perfect but they're too firm, too tart, a little dry, or pale inside. Only once in a while do you get truly perfect strawberries. These are they! The juice goes pouring down your chin when you bite 'em! And they're only around for ten more days, says the farmer. How fleeting is such pleasure.




We used to get sweet strawberries like this, but smaller, when I lived in Tennessee, but also for a very brief time. You almost never (or never) see them in stores because they spoil so quickly. They must be eaten right away! But that is not a problem.


It was more fun that it even sounds like to make Colonial-style whipped cream wigs for our berries.

(The amusing image of the model wearing a cheap George Washington custom is borrowed from importcostume.com. This illustrates one of the many reasons I'm glad my modeling career didn't work out, and by "modeling career," I mean my complete lack of any attempt to become a model for Colonial costumes or anything else. While we're on the subject, dancing is among the major reasons why my acting career never took off. Well, that and my experience in 10th grade Drama class. And that I feel plenty idiotic just trying to "be myself" on a daily basis. I do not mean, of course, to insult my hand model, the lovely-phalanged Bradley Paul, or any other model or actor, particularly the clearly very-confident-with-himself guy pictured above in the bizarre synthetic white wig.)


Finally, I indulge myself by including this weird picture of my empty juice glass on the glass-topped patio table. My camera's autofocus went with the reflection of the Yucca on the table instead of the rooster decals on the drinking glass in the foreground. I like the result. So I include. And conclude.

2 comments:

  1. How do Yellow raspberries differ in taste from red ones? I've never seen such a thing. Fancy-schmancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They pretty much taste the same. Subtle difference. Kind of like the difference between red and green bell peppers, maybe?

    ReplyDelete