Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Big & Little Legs: A Bullfrog Tadpole Update

You may have seen my March 11 post about bringing home three bullfrog tadpoles? Here's an update...


Above
: Look closely and you'll see that this tadpole now has BIG legs and HONKER webbed feet! (Click image for larger view.)

It's fairly unusual for me to see these guys active during the day, but lately it seems like they're coming to the surface more often to catch some rays or to hunt for food. The weather's been warmer the last two or three days. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. There are lots of bugs hanging around the pond, especially damselflies. Maybe the tads are tempted by the promise of tasty daytime snacks?

Anyway, the tadpole above caught my eye when he/she swam to the surface, kicking all four newly developed appendages as well as undulating its tail. If you asked me, I'd say this guy looks fifty-fifty froglike and tadpole-ish. It's supposed to be a year-and-a-half or so before these guys are full-fledged bullfrogs. (?)


Above: This tadpole has small hind legs and no arms that I could make out. It's funny: like the goldfish, the tadpoles seem to think they're hidden from view as long as their eyes are concealed under a plant. You see how much effort this tadpole put into hiding when he/she saw me coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment