Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Hooded Oriole


Icterus cucullatus. I've never seen any kind of Oriole before, so this was an exciting sighting for me. I was just sitting on the rock in my backyard talking to my dad on the phone, and all-of-a-sudden, there's this gorgeous bird, much bigger than I thought Orioles were (eight inches, according to Birds of the Los Angeles Region, which happens to feature the Hooded Oriole on its cover). When I ran to get my camera, I was so worried he'd fly away before I got a picture. A few minutes later, Bradley and I were checking him out through the binoculars when a couple of Ravens flew overhead, and the Oriole fled to my neighbor's giant Walnut tree, where we had trouble seeing him. (It's kind of funny to talk about Orioles and Ravens, since we're fans of both Baltimore teams.) If we start to see Orioles more frequently, I'm definitely going to put out some nectar or jam for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment