Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Second Neon Skimmer


Above: This is the newcomer, brighter than the first, a male Neon Skimmer, Libellula croceipennis.


I had to go back and change my earlier post, in which I misidentified the first dragonfly as a Flame Skimmer. The main difference, which I had overlooked at first, is the amount of amber coloring on the wings. Male Flame Skimmers have 50% of the wing colored amber while Neon Skimmers have 25% or less. Females of each type have faded (Flame) to almost no (Neon) amber.

As you can see in the pictures above (the second dragonfly) and below (the first dragonfly), the amount of amber is consistent with the Neon Skimmer, even though the first doesn't seem pale enough to be a female and the second's abdomen doesn't seem bright red enough to be a male. (???) For now, I'm going to stick with the thought that I have a female (below) and a male (above), but I'm kind of uncertain now. At least I know they're both Neon, not Flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment