Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Speaking of Geraniums

These are the varieties I have in addition to the tiny little one of which I recently posted a picture. The coral colored one is the only geranium plant growing here when we moved in. I guess it's a Zonal geranium. This is the kind I grew up with and consider most familiar. The scarlet red flowers are from three trailing style geranium plants that may also be of the Zonal persuasion.




The more magenta-red colored flowers, viewed from the back in this picture, are from a recently planted Ivy Leaf type geranium. The little magenta or purplish guys, I believe, are a type of perennial geranium called "Little Monster." Supposedly shade tolerant, mine would be happier with a little more sun than they're getting now by the birdbath.




Finally, the rare kind I brought with me from Texas. Found this lovely plant with small, stiff, gray-green leaves and skinny burgundy flowers at Tom Dromgoole's (a favorite Austin spot — http://www.naturalgardeneraustin.com/) and simply could not even consider leaving it behind. Very drought and heat tolerant and seemingly appreciative of neglect, it is not a true geranium but Pelargonium sidoides. (I just learned this on the internet instead of sleeping like a normal person.) Nevertheless, it's my favorite geranium, but don't tell the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment