Sunday, June 28, 2009

Introducing Shalamar, Tyger Tyger, & Lil Q-bert, Jr.


While I was visiting my folks in Tennessee, the raccoons came, refused to heed the scarecrow, and ate poor Bing, leaving Mason as the only grown goldfish in the pond. At least three of the fry and a number of snails also died. (Definitely lost Stryper, who was one of the two biggest fry, but Testa Nera, my favorite fry, survived. He's pictured below at the far right of the frame with the all-white fry.) The plants took their worst beating yet. I don't know if the Water Rose and Golden Buttons will make it, and I doubt that the Water Lilies will bloom if they have to keep replenishing their leaves this often.


Long story short: BP and I thought Mason was acting forlorn, having lost all three of his/her grab-ass playing pals. None of the adults seemed to interact with the fry (even the big ones who are now 1.5 to 1.75 inches long). Our solution: Add some friends for Mason, replacing the dearly departed Lil Q-bert, Jean-Pierre, and now Bing, despite the risk of overpopulating the pond. (If we can't better deter the 'coons, perhaps there is no risk. Sad but true.)


As you see, the new guys are Shalamar, Tyger Tyger, and Lil Q-bert, Jr. Mason and LQJ were instant friends, bonding even before the new guys could come out of the plastic bag. LQJ is considered a 5-6 incher, which the pond place sells for an absurd $17, and the others are 3-inchers, which go for $5. Sympathizing with my raccoon troubles, Jesus was kind enough to give me the three for $18.

The crazy thing is that my four original fish, including Mason, were 3-inchers when I brought them home in December. I hadn't realized how much they'd grown in a short time until I saw Tyger Tyger and Shalamar near Mason — whoa!


Above: Mason, LQJ, and Tyger Tyger playing chase. This is the new guys' second day in Paul Pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment