Thursday, May 21, 2009

Raccoon or Skunk Invasion

Sad news. Yesterday I woke up and found that our pond had been ransacked, and the broken, empty shells of one of my two large Apple Snails and my only big Mystery Snail lay on the surrounding flagstone. Whichever critter it was must have fallen in and struggled to get back out again, dragging in a number of large stones and flagstones from the edge of the pond and battering every single one of the plants.


R.I.P., Apple Snail (Eeny, Meeny, or Miney — I'm not sure.)


The good news is that one Apple Snail remains (which may actually be a blessing) and all four adult goldfish eluded the predator. Lots and lots of fry remain, and I'd say a dozen more teeny-tiny ones have appeared. Now there are three basic sizes: 1/4 inch skinny gray wigglers with eyeballs, 1/2 to 3/4 inch guys (shown above) who are taking on unique characteristics, and chubby 3/4 inch to 1 inch-ers who really resemble the adults' physiques and behavior, roaming more than just the surface 4 inches of the pond.

After cleaning up the night's mess, I made myself feel a little better about the sad massacre by adding a purple Louisiana Iris to it. I love irises and blue/purple flowers in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment