Monday, June 4, 2012

"Katydid! Katydidn't!''

Did Katy do it or not? That is the question.

According to Animal Planet, this bug's name comes from the male's mating call, "Katydid! Katydidn't!'' which "is produced by rubbing a scraper on one forewing against the toothed edge of the other forewing." My katydid was silent. I only noticed it when it hopped from leaf to leaf while I was watering the Rose of Sharon. (This plant has a remarkable array of inhabitants!)

Katydids are pretty harmless vegetarians, and I guess this isn't a "true" katydid because those live east of the Rockies. This is cool: "The insects hear through organs, called tympana, located on the forelegs."

(All info. from Animal Planet. I'll update this post once I've done more research about this particular type of bug.)

No comments:

Post a Comment