Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Hi-ho the Derry-o, a Mantis in the Palm


Taking pictures of palm tree seeds, which I think look really cool but of which I didn't get a picture I really like (example below), I was lucky enough to spot a little tan Praying Mantis (above). The mantis had already spotted me, cocking its head to look me right in the eye. He (or she) was about 2/3 to 3/4 of an inch, not as small the tiny green nymph I spotted last June, but it was a treat to see him (or her) nevertheless.

I adore mantises and consider them both beneficial and lucky. I'd like to think that this guy (or gal) is a descendant of the ones I introduced to the yard a few years ago via store-bought egg casings. Maybe that's the case!

A neat fact about mantises: Their "praying" limbs are called "raptorial legs" because they grab and hold their prey with them. Reh! It makes sense that some folks substitute "preying mantis" for "praying mantis" because this creature more hard-core predator than holy contemplator. (Although who am I to say that mantises aren't being ultra-reverent while chowing down on their victims?!)

P.S. Apparently "prey"/"pray" substitutions are called EGGCORNs in linguistics! How awesome is that term?!

No comments:

Post a Comment