Saturday, April 3, 2010

"Persian Berry" Iris

This is one of the irises that I brought with me from Texas. You may remember that I dug up one rhizome from each variety I was growing there (most were from Maryland before Texas). They then lived in a paper bag for about six weeks until we moved into our current house. Some of them were re-transplanted in 100 degree heat about two weeks after that — to the back yard because they were in the plumbers' way out front where I had originally planted them. These pink guys are the only ones to have survived that re-transplant to the back (most left out front survived, though only one has bloomed so far).

This is the pink iris's first bloom, and oh my god, they are magnificent!


They are surrounded by the dark purple guys with yellow/white beards that existed in the yard when we moved in. They had been under a shade tree, where they weren't blooming, so I moved them to the area pictured here. The purple flowers are knee-high, for the most part. The pink flowers, on the other hand, are waist-high. It's cray-zee!


Below is the first one that opened (a few days ago). Today there are nine open plus buds-a-plenty. As you can see in the pictures, the flowers are darker when they first open (below). After a day in the sun, the petals are lighter while the beards become a more saturated orange (above).

No comments:

Post a Comment