Thursday, August 6, 2009

Some Fruits & Veggies


As a vegetable gardener, I'm quite the beginner, so everything's a thrill. Here's my first California bell pepper. Same pepper pictured above and below (ripening). I'm going to wait a while longer before I pick it.




Above: The Cherokee Purple Heirloom tomatoes often have strange appearances, but they're perfection when you slice them. Below: The Beefmaster tomatoes can do some funny things, too. Here's the bottom of one.


And for comparison, an Heirloom above with Beefmaster below. Typical coloring difference. Size varies. (Not pictured: My patio tomatoes. They're not as entertaining. They're the most tart and mid-sized — about the size of your typical vine-ripe grocery store tomatoes or of the Roma kind.)



Our avocado tree doesn't have any fruit yet, but here's a honkin' specimen from the Montrose Harvest Market. At first, I didn't want such a jumbo avocado, thinking the texture or flavor would be compromised, but no way! I've never had a butterier, more perfect tasting avocado in my life. Before I lived here, I never knew they made 'em so huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment