Monday, June 27, 2011

San Diego Alligator Lizard


Elgaria multicarinata webbii seems to enjoy our garden. We often glimpse these San Diego Alligatory folks who seem to favor the patio-side Geranium patch (above and way below), the pergola woodpile (not pictured), and the succulents near the pond (below). They get pretty large, about 16 inches long including the tail.


I really like the different kinds of markings. The California Herps site says that males have more triangular heads than females, so I surmise that the light colored lizard above is a female, while below is a male. (Don't quote me on that, though. I'm an amateur. Obviously!)


There are at least two other kinds of lizard in the garden. I have lots of rock piles for lizards to hide in, I avoid pesticides and herbicides, and their population has definitely been growing. I'll try to get more pictures soon, but it could take a while. They generally don't pose for long. Our mockingbirds are always on the prowl, dive-bombing and what-not.

No comments:

Post a Comment